I will say, messing with the Baofeng 888 radios was a major pain. The main problem was actually getting the second radio from the seller (KD8MST). And when I finally did get it, it didn't work correctly. So I disassembled both my new (non-working) radio and my old (working) radio to see what the difference was in the wiring.
Both these radios were modified and a cable was wired into the circuit boards to facilitate use as a node radio. I opened them up and sent pictures of the wiring to the seller in hopes that he could identify the problem. He didn't see any problem, but confessed he may have used the wrong pin-out on the other end of the cable.
The problem I had... once I disassembled these two radios... I could not get them back together. So I simply tossed them both in the trash and wrote the whole thing off as a failed experiment.
I went back to my trusty Alinco node radio with my DB9 A/B switch. Everything is working great. There are only two minor inconveniences.
1) I need to switch back and forth between nodes (having only one node radio to share between nodes instead of each node having it's own radio).
2) I need to remember to switch on my muffin fan when I'm connected up to something in order to keep the Alinco cool in case the system I'm connected to gets busy. However I did replace my previous fan with one that is now less noisy.
The Baofeng node radio idea really was an experiment. The first one I had worked great. But as I pointed out to KD8MST, my tolerance level for frustration on these things is quite low. I just don't need the grief. And while the Baofeng solution was much cheaper than what I was using before... I already had a working solution that was perfectly acceptable.
I am truly an "appliance operator" type ham. I want things to just work. I'm not in it that much for the tinkering, but more for the communication aspect. I enjoy having a good conversation. And having a chat with someone you don't know can be interesting, fun, and also good practice.